- 4 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups nuts - mix your favorites, like almonds, walnuts, cashews and pecans
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups diced dried fruits such as pears, apples, apricots, and raisins
- Stir the oats and nuts together. Bake in a large shallow pan in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Mix the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt thoroughly. Combine the honey with vegetable oil and vanilla, mixing well.
- When oats and nuts are removed from the oven, stir in the brown sugar and flour mixture. Then blend in the honey mixture, combining thoroughly with the dry mix. Spread evenly in the shallow pan.
- Return to the oven for 10 more minutes, or until golden, stirring once or twice while baking.
- Transfer to a large bowl or cool shallow pan and let cool. Add the dried fruits of your choice.
- Pack the well-cooled granola in airtight containers. Store in the refrigerator for the longest shelf life.
Source: So Easy to Preserve: Drying. 2005. National Center for Home Food Processing and Preservation and the Cooperative Extension Service, University of Georgia, Athens. (Video)